Skip to content

Two men questioned under caution in cash-for-honours probe linked to King Charles's charity

The Metropolitan Police launched an investigation in February into a bid to give honours and citizenship to a Saudi national linked to the charity.

Why you can trust Sky News

Two men have been interviewed under caution by officers investigating cash-for-honours allegations linked to King Charles III's charity the Prince's Foundation.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "On Tuesday, 6 September, police interviewed a man aged in his 50s and a man aged in his 40s under caution in relation to offences under the Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925.

"The investigation remains ongoing and we will not be providing a running commentary on its progress."

A statement from the Prince's Foundation said: "While it would be inappropriate to comment on an ongoing investigation, it should be noted that The Prince's Foundation continues to offer its full co-operation."

In February an investigation was launched into a bid to give honours and citizenship to a Saudi national linked to the charity.

Last year Michael Fawcett, a former aide to King Charles who was at the centre of the allegations, quit as chief executive of the charity.

His departure came during the charity's own investigation into claims of an honour to be given to the businessman Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz.

More on The King

Mr Mahfouz, 52, who received an honorary CBE in 2016, denies any wrongdoing.

In September, Clarence House said that then Prince Charles had "no knowledge of the alleged offer of honours or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities".